It is ideal for older people who live alone with little contact from family or friends. This amazing service helps prevent feelings of loneliness and isolation by providing a regular phone call from a friendly volunteer.
A phone call from a friend
Phoning Friends recruits volunteers to make regular phone calls. By developing friendships over the phone the service aims to reduce your feelings of loneliness and isolation and improve your quality of life and well being.
Just like a true friend, our volunteers will take time to listen to you and share life’s ups and downs, chatting about current affairs, listening to your news or just discussing the weather.
As your friendship develops, you may find life looks more interesting again. Volunteers can help you reengage with your local community – for example by putting you in touch with local events or services.
Volunteer with us
By volunteering for us you can give something back to your community, learn valuable new skills, and make new friends. Our volunteers get as much out of the experience as the older people and communities they help.
Download our volunteer application form and become a FotE volunteer today.
Phoning Friends main features
- A regular phone call, at least once a fortnight at a suitable time
- You and your volunteer will be carefully matched, though you won’t meet face to face as this is a telephone befriending service
- With your permission, volunteers can talk to the Phoning Friends manager to help you access other services or support, if required
- All our volunteers are carefully recruited and undergo thorough checks and references
- The Phoning Friends Manager will call you four times a year to check things are going well and will also send you a quarterly Phoning Friends newsletter.