About the Opportunity
We are looking for people to join our Woking hub to help our residents and service users get involved in the gardens.
The site includes Bernard Sunley – a care home supporting people in residential, nursing and dementia care to live fulfilled lives – our Day Centre which supports people living with dementia and our Visiting Friends befriending service and day care service are run from here too.
We are very lucky to have lots of garden space and raised beds, and having volunteers to run gardening activities will help encourage people to get outside and enjoy these spaces.
We need people with a passion for gardening that are happy to get stuck in, supporting residents and service users to get involved or to simply just observe.
We need people to help throughout the week and weekends so are flexible to suit a wide range of people – this will all be discussed with the Activities Coordinator. You will work together to plan activities that anyone and everyone can join in with, be it indoors or outdoors, group or one-to-one.
We are looking for people who;
- Are passionate about gardening
- Enjoy talking and listening to older people
- Happy to help plan activities
- Able to run activities which may be unsupervised
- Have empathy and understand the needs of older people
- Are warm, friendly, outgoing and approachable
- Work well with others
- Would like to make a real difference to an older person’s life
What you will gain from this role
- You will learn new skills and meet new people
- You will be supported by your Manager and other volunteers
- You will be invited to events and celebrations as a volunteer
- You may have the opportunity to join training courses organised by the Charity
- We can reimburse reasonable travel expenses
We are looking for volunteers over the age of 18.
You will need a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check which is free for volunteers and we will guide you through this often quick process.
All of our volunteers will receive a charity induction, and further support and training will be provided by the Manager as needed.
You will be given a Volunteer Handbook and information on how the Charity supports volunteers.
Mandatory training may be required and will be offered as appropriate.
If you drive as part of your volunteering you will need the appropriate insurance and documentation.
Time and commitment
To be discussed with the Activities Coordinator.
It is most helpful to both sides if you can commit to a minimum of three months.