About the opportunity
We are looking for friendly, committed and approachable volunteers to visit older people in the Woking area, who are often lonely and at times may be isolated.
You will visit someone who you will have been matched to once a week for about an hour, which will allow you to offer friendship, companionship and the opportunity to share valued interests.
The service isn’t specifically for people living with dementia but we may offer befriending to people with early stages of dementia.
We suggest a visit each week for about one hour, which will allow you to offer friendship, companionship and the opportunity to share valued interests.
We are looking for people who
- Enjoy talking and listening to older people
- Are happy to spend time alone in an older person’s home providing friendship
- Have empathy and understand the needs of older people
- Are warm, friendly, and approachable
- Would like to make a real difference to an older person’s life
What you will gain from this role
- You will learn new skills and meet new people
- You will be supported by your Manager and other volunteers
- You will be invited to events and celebrations as a volunteer
- You may have the opportunity to join training courses organised by the Charity
- We can reimburse reasonable travel expenses
We are looking for volunteers over the age of 18.
It is most helpful to all involved if you can commit for at least three months.
All of our volunteers will receive a charity induction, and further support and training will be provided by the Manager as needed.
You will be given a Volunteer Handbook and information on how the Charity supports volunteers.
Mandatory training may be required and will be offered as appropriate.
If you drive as part of your volunteering you will need the appropriate insurance and documentation.