Minimum 2 hours a week Monday-Friday at Stroke Project (at Triangle Community Services, part of the friends of the Elderly Group)
Make a difference to the lives of stroke survivors and gain valuable experience in the process. We run a range of different support groups, and volunteers can be allocated to one or more groups according to their area of interest.
About the opportunity
Make a difference to the lives of stroke survivors and gain valuable experience in the process. We run a range of different support groups, and volunteers can be allocated to one or more groups according to their area of interest. For example, high care groups, self-help group, group for younger stroke survivors (18 year olds), Talk Stroke group for people with communication difficulties, exercise classes, walking group, stroke forum, etc.
We welcome volunteers with a positive, lively, creative and caring attitude, who have an interest in helping stroke survivors with their recovery. You should have good communication skills, be enthusiastic and committed.
To understand the needs of older people and people with disabilities.
Main purpose of the role
- Help design activities and resources.
- Run activities during group sessions.
- Encourage members to take part in activities/exercise.
- Engage members in group discussions.
- Advise on healthy lifestyle.
- Help group members with refreshments.
- Help setting up venue.
- Help the team with data entry and calls.
Development and support
- Full training and support will be offered as appropriate.
- Mandatory training will be required to meet the current legislation.
- DBS checks are required.
- You will be invited to attend volunteer meetings.
- Ongoing training and support will be offered for your development and training needs.