Location: Various locations – London (working with West Ham United Foundation)
Reports to: Football Friends Project Officer
Commitment: To be discussed
Friends of the Elderly has been supporting older people for over 100 years. We believe all older people should have the opportunity to live fulfilled lives.
‘Any Old Irons’ is a programme of activities and events for older football fans and works in partnership with West Ham United Foundation. It gives participants the opportunity to meet new people, reminisce about their club, learn digital skills and to connect to other activities in their communities. We aim to prevent and combat loneliness and isolation by bringing people together through a shared interest.
We are looking for volunteers to help with promotion and marketing. This involves reaching out to older people and sharing the awareness of the program, through handing out leaflets, speaking at events/meetings or via sharing online content. Volunteers are integral to supporting our Football Friends sessions that are hosted at various football clubs in and around London.
- Confident to communicate and start up conversations
- Experience in promotion/marketing
- Good local knowledge of the area
- Happy to work independently
- Experience of working with older people
- An interest in football
- Able to participate in low impact physical activity such as walking football
- An understanding of safeguarding of vulnerable adults
- Enjoy spending time with older people
- Reliable and able to commit on a regular basis
- Have empathy and understand the needs of older people
- Warm, friendly, outgoing and enthusiastic
- Works well with others – participants and delivery partners
- Would like to make a real difference to the lives of older people
- An awareness of the issues that might be faced by older people
Development and support
- Ongoing support from your manager, other staff and other volunteers.
- Mandatory training will be required to meet the current legislation dependent on role.
- Additional training may be offered as appropriate.
- You will be invited to attend volunteer meetings and receive regular communication from the charity
Process for application
- Please complete an application form and return to:email@example.com
- As the role involves working with vulnerable adults all volunteers will need a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) criminal records check. This is free for volunteers.
- You will need two good references.
- Induction will be provided.
Once all the above have been successfully completed, you will be able to commence your volunteering role.
How to apply
Friends of the Elderly
40-42 Ebury Street