History

In 1905 The Church Army League of Friends of the Poor was founded by a group of volunteers following an appeal by Wilson Carlisle. In 1911 Friends of the Poor became an independent organisation and we changed to our current name in 1972.

For over 100 years Friends of the Elderly has responded to the changing needs of people and society. We are committed to providing excellent care and support for older people and meeting their needs wherever we can.

1905

The Church Army League of Friends of the Poor founded.
Grant giving service established.

1911

Friends of the Poor became a separate organisation.

1914

The charity received over 28,000 letters from people requesting support.

First World War 1914 - 1918

The charity provided “Penny Dinners” in some of the poorest districts of London and helped men to get work, back pay and pensions when they returned home from the war.

1926

The first residential home opened, The Marie Louise Club for Gentlewomen.

Second World War 1939 -1945

The need for the work of the charity increased particularly in the areas of London devastated by bombing.

1945

Number of residential homes increased to four.

1946-1959

After the war the work of the charity began to focus on those who were frail and elderly.

1960

Number of residential homes increased to 15.

1961-1971

As the number of older people requiring nursing care increased the charity responded with nursing wings in the residential homes and by supporting older people in their own homes or in other nursing homes.

1972

Name changed to Friends of the Elderly.

1973-1989

Friends of the Elderly continued to provide excellent accommodation and care as older people become frailer.

1990 - 2011

New direct services were established to support older people in their own homes. This continues and more services are opening each year.